Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cookbook Challenge. Week 2. Vcon - Spaghetti and Beanballs

So I've clearly been slacking in my Cookbook Challenge this week but I'm back! I knew that yesterday was going to be a very long, freezing snowy day so I would want something fairly easy, filling and comforting for dinner to get my weekend of relaxing off to the right start. I decided Spaghetti and Beanballs from Veganomicon would fit the bill. I had never  made this recipe before and really didn't have many expectations other than a full belly.

I'm not going to talk much about the spaghetti because, well, it's just spaghetti. I didn't do anything special to it. I even got so lazy as to add a jar of pre-made sauce(gasp!)

Now that the pasta is out of the way, lets talk about the beanballs. I liked them, but I unfortunately can't say that I loved them. I think part of the reason it was only like and not love was my fault though. I didn't realize until after I started cooking the balls that I had used only a 15 ounce can of beans while the recipe called for a 20 ounce can. It is only a small difference in amounts but when I used the full amounts of the other ingredients without the proper amount of beans I think it threw the recipe off a little. I chose to bake them because I was too lazy to stand over the stove frying them, and they felt pretty delicate so I didn't want them to fall apart. They crisped up nicely on the outside but even with a longer cooking time than the recipe called for the insides were slightly mushy. Maybe they are supposed to be that way and I was expecting something else because I had never made them? Who knows. And still, even though I wasn't crazy over them, they definitely hit the spot last night and will make them again in the future but will take more care to use the proper amounts.


 And I am totally using the leftovers for a beanball sub for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment